Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Sight Words

I'm not quite sure why I love teaching sight words, but I do. I really enjoy finding and making new games and materials to teach them. Keeping everything interesting and enjoyable is quite a task.


Two summers ago I worked on our schools Sight Word Committee and here are some of the materials I created.


All documents contain fonts that are copyright DJ Inkers. Virtually all documents contain graphics that are copyright DJ Inkers. They are used with permission. Please visit http://www.djinkers.com/, for wonderful clipart and fonts.
Word Wall Activities

Teaching Sight Words Weekly Format

Sight words for word wall

I have utilized Kelly's Kindergarten http://www.kellyskindergarten.com/Games/GamestoMake/games_to_make.htm for many games that my students love. Sight word Uno has been hands-down the biggest hit EVER. I have used Kelly's format to go with special times and themes throughout the school year. I print color copies on cardstock and laminate them, and I print out black and white copies for the students to use at home. Here is an example of the Ocean version of Sight Word Uno.
Sight Word Ocean Uno (color)


I also utilize the old stand-by's; Concentration, Pig, and Roll, Say, Keep. Kathy Gursky's School Bell Site has  lots of activities. http://www.theschoolbell.com/Links/Dolch/Contents.html
Pig Game (Feb Homework)

Meltdown
Flip It Down

In my room, when we play sight word Bingo, I have the students create their own boards. It gives them practice with copying words, as well as, handwriting. 
Here is an example (Valentine Bingo).
Valentine Bingo

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these activities! They are awesome!

    http://skellyskindergarten.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to print out and play the Sight Word Uno. Fun, fun, fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you soo much!! I love all of these!! I really needed some fresh ideas for teaching sight words each morning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much! I have a really hard time teaching sight words so this is going to be really helpful.

    ReplyDelete