Saturday, March 19, 2011

Cue the Banjo's....We're Going to the Farm

Let me shout it from the rooftops...I cannot wait for Spring Break!!! We've got one more week and believe me when I say the Hoppers are in need of some time off. It has been one long winter! Don't get me wrong...I love my kids and teaching, but I have been on edge this week. I am on meds that give me headaches and make me irritable. I am trying soooo hard to be the teacher I normally am, but it's rather difficult right now. I just don't feel in control of myself. I just keep swimming and tell myself that this too shall pass.


After Spring Break, we will dive into all things Farm. I LOVE doing a farm unit! There are so many wonderful activities, songs, and books that I get totally consumed in it. We begin the unit with Oviparous Animals and then just go from there. I've added some chick and egg worksheets, but I thought why create a separate post, so they are included here. You will see that books and activities are not really "farm" per se that is because I am easily side tracked...IE- we start talking about pigs and the next thing you know we do a mini unit on The 3 Little Pigs.


I'm not sure what is going on with Scribd...the pictures don't look very good on here, but I did go through and click on them, they seem to be fine once you go to Scribd.


I hope you find things that you can use! Maybe this post will get me to 200 followers...A*MAZING!
 Enjoy!
Shannon


All documents contain fonts that are copyright DJ Inkers. Virtually all documents contain graphics that are copyright DJ Inkers. They are used with permission. Please visit http://www.djinkers.com/, for wonderful clipart and fonts.


Books we read
I normally find pictures to post here; however, I do the farm unit for almost an entire month...there are just too many books to find all the pictures! I am going to list them out, and I am positive that I will forget many! Forgive me :-) Also, upon further inspection of my book list, it seems as though I am a tad heavy on the pigs...I may need to adjust this at some point.
  • Mrs. Wishy Washy
  • Big Red Barn
  • Charlotte's Web (we are going to read this throughout April)
  • Junie B. Jones has a Peep in her Pocket
  • Click, Clack Moo: Cows That Type
  • Chicken Little
  • Rosie's Walk
  • The Little Red Hen
  • The Three Little Pigs
  • Alaska's Three Pigs
  • Three Cajun Pigs
  • The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig
  • The True Story of the Three Little Pigs
  • Barnyard Banter
  • The Three Billy Goats Gruff
  • Pigs Aplenty, Pigs Galore!
  • Pigs Make Me Sneeze
  • All the books in the Weekly Reader Series: Animals that Live on the Farm
  • Farm Animals
  • Inside a Barn in the Country
  • All the farm books in the DK Series: See How They Grow
  • Olivia
  • Pigs in the Mud in the Middle of the Rud
  • One Stuck Duck
  • Sheep in a Jeep
  • Tops and Bottoms
  • Farmer Duck
  • Barnyard Hullabaloo
  • A Seed is Sleepy
  • Growing Vegetable Soup
The Literacy Goods

Blends and Digraph Farm Sort


Little Red Hen Sight Word Scramble Worksheet

For the Spin, Read, and Write, I give each student a paperclip and a sharpened pencil to use as their spinner. It saves a ton of time versus the paper fastener and paperclip.
Spin, Read, Write -ig Word Family Game

3 Little Pigs Vowel Matching

Look at the Farm !

This is our Farm Journal. Every few days at the beginning of the unit, we focus on something specific on a farm. Students then write what they know about on the corresponding page.
Farm Jounal

Animals on the farm

Eggs-cellent Words Worksheet

The template for the Sight Word Uno Game came from Kelly's Kindergarten. Love her games!http://kellyskindergarten.com/Games/GamestoMake/games_to_make.htm
Sight Word Farm Uno Color Version

The Math Goods
Tops and Bottoms Numbers


To play Roll, Count, and Color: students use 2 dice or Dice in Dice (we are going to use the Dice in Dice).
Dice In Dice Tub
They roll, count, and then color one of the corresponding eggs.
Roll, Count, and Color Hen & Eggs

Farm Patterns

The Charlotte's Web Counting by 2's is similar to the President's Day strips we made in February. Students color, cut, and glue the pieces to a sentence strip. We use these as we sing Jack Hartmann's Counting by 2's.

Charlottes Web Counting by 2's

Spin and Graph Farm Spinner

Farm Spin and Tally Sheet

21 comments:

  1. i just discovered your blog! thank you so much for sharing your ideas. i have already downloaded so many awesome projects that i will use in the future. thanks again. sara beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all your ideas!!! They are always so creative! How do you find the time??? Thank you so much for sharing them!!!
    How do you use the "tops and bottoms" math sheet??

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been more than generous with all of these resources, thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shannon, I'm impressed as always! I'm with Roden's Rants...when do you find the time to make all of these fantastic reproducibles and games?! Do you download your clipart from somewhere or buy it? My goal over spring break and summer is to work on a TON of materials.

    One thing we always do during our farm unit - although it's in September - is to create a "Farmer, Farmer, What do you see?" book after reading "Brown Bear, Brown Bear..." I always write the sentences since it's so early in the year and the kids illustrate the animals, but at this point your students could probably do both! It always turns out so cute. I also make a HUGE farm mural out of butcher paper. I painted a barn, some empty fence areas, a mud puddle, etc and let the kids create animals to stick in the various places. They love it because it takes up so much space.

    One last thing, for the world's longest comment ;)...sometimes things don't open right on my mac. Would you mind emailing me "Animals on the Farm" and your egg adding sheet with the color code? kristinmockler@gmail.com

    Have a great spring break!! :)
    http://LittleMissGlamourGoesToKindergarten.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!!!! This is all amazing stuff!!!! I have to ask you- how did you make the farm journal pages? Is there a program for that?! I would love to be able to create theme journals like that for my kinders! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. THANK YOU SO, SO Much!! :-)Robin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Shannon!! We are finishing our Spring Break and the students come back to school on Tuesday. And, guess what we will begin.... FARM! So, these ideas came at the ideal time. You are so generous to share all these for FREE! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you have such GREAT ideas!!! I sometimes think I have taught the little ones too long, then I found your blog and have a second wind for a few more years. Thank you for sharing your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shannon, you are so generous sharing all of your HARD work. Please know that it is sooooo appreciated! Thank you !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this! I am doing farms with my preschoolers here at home this upcoming week. Your resources will tie in nicely. I especially love the books for the kids to read and color.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks to all for the kind comments!

    @Roden's- The Tops and Bottoms Worksheet is just writing numbers to 50.

    @Kristin- I buy my clipart from DJ Inkers and Carson Dellosa mainly. You can't sell anything you make, but it sure is cute. I also have some from Scrappin' Doodles. Farmer, Farmer...such a cute idea. I think I will be making that :)
    I will absolutely email those to you; however, there is just something with Mac compatibility...it may not fix the problem.

    @Jessica- I use PowerPoint to make everything. The Journals are just a mix of lines, boxes, and text boxes. Play around with PowerPoint and you will be amazed.

    Again...thanks to everyone! Your comments always make my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have discovered your blog and am a new convert and follower! Love all the ideas you have shared. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much! I absolutely LOVE your blog and your ideas and downloads! I get so excited to see a new post!

    For those that have a MAC, try opening it with adobe reader instead of preview.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holy Toledo!! This is a lot of farm goodies!! You have outdone yourself again! Thank you thank you thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much for sharing all of this. I always incubate and needed new activities.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! I am still constantly AMAZED at all the cool stuff you come up with. You are so talented and generous with your creations! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just wanted to let you know what an inspiration you are to me. You are a gifted teacher with talents beyond words. Thank you so much for your kindness and generosity.

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are fantastic! I am so glad I found a link to you on Eberhart's Explorers.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for sharing all of your farm activities! We have farm week coming up and this is by far the best collection of FREE farm themed kindergarten printables I have found. We will definitely be using some of them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Shannon, you are my hero! Not only do you share your enthusiasm for teaching with your students, but you also share your amazing and adorable activities so that other teachers can do the same! I have been able to use so many of your creations in my classroom, and they have helped me immensely as a first-year teacher. Thank you SO much.

    ReplyDelete